Race: George Edwin Taylor


George Edwin Taylor: The Son of s Slave

George Edwin Taylor was an incredible man. Despite being one of a dozen children of a slave, he didn’t allow that title to determine his future. After reading his story, I find myself relating to this on so many levels. Being, the oldest of four children and growing up in single parent home having little to nothing was very devastating. Raised on government assistants and being forced to work at the age of 16 years old was unbelievable.  What I can say, is just because my childhood was not peaches and cream, I didn’t let what I experience to predict who I would become in the now. The only difference between me and Taylor I had a roof over my head, and he only had dry good boxes. Regardless of, Taylor being register as the son of a slave, he didn’t let that interfere with him accomplishing his goals.
 After Taylor is mother passed, he decided that it was time for change. He could not just sit around moping and feeling depressed because he had no family. His father had passed, and his siblings were could not be located. Taylor made a wise choice to move north and attended the Baptist Academy at Beaver Dam, in Wisconsin. You see making changes is not always a bad idea. Amid this change he was taken in by a well-educated black family. This family believed in getting a good education and was a politically active. In comparison, to Taylor when I moved from the city I was born and relocated to another city that was the best feeling ever. I was exposed to so many great opportunities, which in turn help me grow. After reading his story, I realized moving was the best decision, Taylor made because that is when he discovered his love for news reporting. Even though Taylor faced so many obstacles he remained humble the entire time. 
Being that Taylor was into journalism and his foster family was into politics it allowed Taylor to enhance his knowledge. Of course, being that he grew up in slavery and seeing how the blacks were treated, it motivated him to use his wisdom as a weapon to stand for black people by using his voice and knowledge. Taylor was the first black man to run for President of the United States (not Barack Obama). However, being that he was the son of a slave, people took him as joke. Labeling him by his family history, which was poor, black, and uneducated.

https://www.herself360.com/articles/110-African-American-firsts (photo credited)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine’s Day: Love or Marty

Andrew Johnson Impeachment

The Lucky Third